Interlibrary Loan [ILL] & Commonwealth Catalog
Interlibrary Loan [ILL] is available to Walpole Patrons who are unable to obtain materials either through the Old Colony Library network or Commonwealth Catalog [see Commonwealth Catalog Guidelines]. All ILL requests must be made through the Reference Department, in person, phone [508-660-7341] or by email [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Please consult the Interlibrary Loan [ILL] Guidelines to determine eligibility and requirements
Commonwealth Catalog Gudelines
- First time users are required to provide an active library card # & PIN [default = “ocln”]
- All Commonwealth Catalog loans are 28 days
- Commonwealth Catalog materials cannot be renewed
- If an item is needed longer than the loan period, that item should be returned and another copy requested
- Only “available” materials can be reserved [no holds/waiting list]
- Commonwealth Catalog materials usually take a week or sometimes longer to obtain
- Anyone who is a Walpole resident or uses Walpole as their main library, and has a library card in good standing, may place ILL requests.
- Availability will always be checked first through the Commonwealth Catalog.
- If the item of interest is not available through the Commonwealth Catalog and is more than 12 months old, it may be requested through Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
- All Inter-library Loans must be returned to the Walpole Public Library.
- In general, fees are not charged for obtaining ILLs. However, there are occasionally circumstances when a lending library will only lend for a fee. In this event, WPL will contact the patron before incurring a fee.
- The time frame for obtaining materials is not exact. It usually takes two or more weeks to obtain ILL materials.
- Due dates and renewals are set by the lending libraries. Renewals must be requested prior to an item’s due date.
- Lending libraries may place restrictions on the use of materials. For example: a common designation is “in library use only.” Under this status an item may only be used on the premises of the library during regular operating hours.
- Certain items may not be available to borrow [e.g. new, fragile, rare, etc.]. Patrons will be informed in this event.
- Patrons are responsible for any damaged or lost items in their possession