The Walpole Public Library provides examination proctoring to the public. Please contact the Reference Department at either 508-660-7341 or email@example.com for availability and scheduling. Please consult the Proctoring Policy for specific guidelines, requirements & limitations.
As a public service and as part of our effort to support lifelong learning, the Walpole Public Library [WPL] provides supervision of student examinations. Proctoring of examinations is subject to the availability of authorized staff and in accordance with the following conditions:
- Contact & Scheduling:
- Students who need a test proctored should have the testing institution/school contact the Library in advance by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Telephone inquiries either from a student or testing institution must be followed by written requests to email@example.com. We will inform the institution/school if we are either able or unable to meet the examination requirements. If we are unable to do so, the WPL reserves the right to deny this service. Exams may be sent by either mail or email.
- If we agree to proctor the test, the student must call us at 508-660-7341 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time. Students and testing institutions should be advised that the exam will be proctored by whichever librarian is working at the information desk at the time the exam is scheduled. WPL does not assign specific staff to proctor exams, but the librarian scheduled for duty on the requested examination time must agree to do so first. If the examination falls during a shift change it must be agreed to by all staff involved.
- WPL does not charge for proctoring exams. To this point, the WPL will not accept requests from testing institutions that charge a fee for proctoring.
- Staff Supervision
- Please Note: Due to the requirements of a public service desk, WPL cannot ensure a quiet environment, nor can WPL ensure that staff will be closely observing the student during the entire exam. WPL cannot restrict or enforce restrictions on the use of textbooks, notebooks, notes, or handheld electronic devices. The student will be responsible for following the test instructions and keeping track of his/her own time.
- Before administering the examination, the monitoring librarian will verify the identity of the student by requiring a picture ID. The librarian will read and follow the proctor instructions on the test and seat the student in sight of the information.
- Returning a Completed Exam
- WPL cannot pay for postage or other shipping charges. WPL will not photocopy or keep copies of exams on file. WPL cannot fax any correspondence, forms, or letters. However, WPL can scan and send completed tests back to the school via e-mail. If WPL is required to mail a completed exam back to the testing institution, the student or testing institution must provide a prepaid envelope or package [including any additional features, such as tracking, if it is required by either the student or testing institution.
- Online Exams
- Online exams can be completed using library computers in the computer area if scheduled as dictated above. WPL cannot guarantee the speed of the library’s Internet connection, or that the Internet connection will not be interrupted during the test. WPL cannot allow the installation of any special software that may be needed to complete the examination on a library computer. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that our computers are adequate for their test taking requirements. If allowed by the school, Students may bring their own laptops and connect to our wireless network, but WPL will not advise or assist in configuring personal laptops or software.
- Examinations must be completed by the student within the time period set forth by the school. Exams that are not taken within that period will be shredded/deleted, depending on format unless the school makes a separate [and agreeable] arrangement.
- General Limitations
- Librarians will not sign a proctoring statement that attests to any supervision other than that described in this policy. Furthermore, Librarians will not be required to provide personal information other than their title and place of employment.